Originally built as the North Lodge of the Carradale Estate, between 1887 and 1891 it became the village’s infants’ school, with 12 to 15 children attending.
This was because the main school, located further up the road in Carradale Glen, was regarded as too far from home for youngsters to travel on foot.
The building would later be used as a private house then as a visitor centre by the Forestry Commission.
The building is of a stone construction, however, and this has enabled it to survive everything the East Kintyre climate could throw at it through the years. Now that’s a lesson in how to protect the past by looking to the future!